Wednesday

Precious Recipes


There are certain recipes that are scribbled down on scraps of paper that become your Precious ones. They are the only way to make a certain dish. I have very few of these. I am more of a book lover when it comes to recipes. Though I do on occasion tear something out of a magazine, or keep a print out of a dish that that was really spectacular, these bits of paper end up in a folder that I only ever look in when I am putting away a new recipe that I will invariably never use again.

There are 3 exceptions to this. Firstly my Luscious Lemon Drizzle Cake which I have been making for YEARS having heard it on Woman's Hour. It is a super simple recipe that I go back to again and again.

Second the spicy halloumi salad nbnqnbnq sent me a couple of years ago after I fell in love with it over dinner one night.


And finally my broccoli and blue cheese soup with cheese scone scribble. These three scraps of paper have lived either attached to the fridge or pinned to the noticeboard since I discovered them. But when we moved into this house they went missing. I searched through folders, boxes, drawers of stuff, everywhere and they were nowhere to be found. I managed to track down the lemon drizzle online and I knew the halloumi was only a google away but my precious cheese scones were gone forever.

In an attempt to get over the loss of these future heirlooms I have tried about 15 different scone recipes and nothing was quite right, either the amounts were tiny and we only got 4 scones, or there wasn't enough cheese, or they didn't rise, or they just tasted grim. I had very much thrown in the towel. Clearly my cosy double cheese suppers were a thing of the past, until we finally opened our last moving box. And there they were! My Precious came home! Hidden amongst the living room ornaments (of course I should clearly have looked their first) were these beauties. I instantly headed to the kitchen and made a batch of scones for lunch and they were awesome. These ones are flecked with red pepper as we had some Mexicana cheese knocking about that needed munching.
To prevent me ever losing them again here are the recipe for my cosy cheesy scones.



 Cheesy Scones
400g self raising flour
80g butter diced
150g grated cheese (extra mature is my favourite)
1tsp english mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
200ml milk (warmed)


  1. preheat an oven to gas mark 7/200c Fan
  2. rub together the flour into the butter 
  3. add the cayenne pepper, mustard powder & 100g of cheese to the flour mixure and stir
  4. gently combine with the warm milk until a soft dough is formed
  5. turn out onto a floured surface and shape into a large round
  6. cut into 8 wedges and arrange on a baking sheet
  7. bake for 10 mins
  8. remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese
  9. cook for a further 6 minutes
  10. serve warm with butter, or dunk in soup.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...